Friday, August 10, 2012

Inspiration Strikes

Helena using her power to save a roly poly bug
I could blame my inability to stay on top of most revolving tasks on lack of time, motivation, or energy – it certainly wouldn't be for lack of material. Though I manage to update my notebook with various Helena-isms or events in her life practically daily, transcribing those scribbled notes into a worthy arrangement of paragraphs can prove all too cumbersome a feat. Especially once those quotes and updates begin to pile up onto each other. Then, where there was once a single milestone to document, there are now five, then ten... and before you know it, four months have passed.

In addition to today's post, I'll catch you up with a synopsis and some photos of the past few months, which you have missed during my absentia. The reason I found the inspiration to write today is that I saw something that I didn't want to dismiss from my memory and be scrambling to remember tomorrow. Not that I think I could forget an image so profound that introduced me to a side of Helena's personality that I hadn't witnessed before.

This morning, as I dropped her off at school, I stood on the sidelines as I watched her run excitedly toward the playground packed with as many children as it could possibly accommodate. But something different happened when Helena ran up, compared to when any other child wandered into the playground. As Helena approached, a little girl greeted her with a huge smile and a "HELENAAAAAAAA!!!!" She hugged the girl, who in turn hugged her back and then took her hand. Out of earshot, I couldn't hear how their conversation progressed, but I could see Helena pointing and directing the girl around the area. After only a few moments, this exact greeting and action occurred again. This time with a not-so-little girl. Yet she hugged Helena, took her hand, and allowed herself to be led around.

This happened not only twice, but three – THREE – more times after that. Not once did I see this kind of behavior spark around any of the other kids. Just random running and screaming and playing. And here was Helena with her little cult of children – most of them much bigger than her – and she was the ruler of all of them. When Helena pointed, the other kids looked; when she ran, the others followed quickly behind her. As she set her sights on one of the little boys from her class, she chased him up and down and around the playground... with a string of five other girls bringing up the rear. None of them were as quick as her, and a couple of the heavier girls gave up their pursuit as fast as they had begun. When Helena finally caught up with the boy, she grabbed his arm and attempted to pull him to the area in which her followers had congregated. The boy resisted, freed himself from her grasp, and ran away.

Helena then made her way over to me, and I asked her why she had chased Gavin that way. She simply said, "Because he is fun to chase." At this point, the collection of Helenaholics had also made their way toward us. One of the girls replied, "You can chase me, Helena. I don't mind." To which Helena retorted, "But you're not Gavin." And I commented on how she was only willing to chase the one boy who didn't want to be around her. And I couldn't help thinking.... Like mother, like daughter.

It was interesting to see the obvious influence and admiration Helena had garnered over a good portion of the kids she interacted with in only a 10-minute period of time. The attention and affection she commanded without an ounce of effort. It impressed me, to be honest. I am so intrigued to see how she will use this power as she grows.

No comments:

Post a Comment