Thursday, February 23, 2012

Check PlayMate

I have officially signed Helena up for her first extracurricular activity and I'm proud to say it's just about the nerdiest thing a kid can do – Chess Club. I'm even prouder to say that she absolutely loves it, and I'd much rather have her doing something that encourages her to use her mind than most of the other after-school activities for kids. Hopefully, this is a step in the right direction of ensuring she doesn't grow up to be a superficial airhead.

Her first match was against a girl about a year older than her. This was her recap of their trash talk to each other:

Girl: "Okay, little girl... you might be cute and you might be sweet, but tonight... you're gonna be my chicken!"

Helena: "And you're gonna be my drink! And that drink is WINE!!"

Turns out, during that match Helena snagged the little girl's queen. During her next match, she played a boy who was in 4th grade and took him to the cleaners. Could my little girl potentially be the next Bobby Fisher? Eh, I'd say given the events she's already experienced during her short life, she's definitely due for a biopic made in her honor.

I look forward to keeping everyone informed of her progress as the rest of the matches unfold.


No comments:

Post a Comment